News Ticker

CNN non-renews Maggie Lake

CNN has decided to not renew the contract of CNN International business anchor Maggie Lake, according to a source. The network already hired her replacement, Bloomberg’s Julia Chatterley; she will begin hosting her new show, First Move, beginning September 10.

Lake has been a longtime fixture on CNN, having been with the network as a business correspondent and host since 2001.

Her show, CNNMoney, will be hosted by a rotating team of New York-based anchors until First Move debuts. So far, Stephanie Sy, Alison Kosik, and Zain Asher have anchored since her departure.

Advertisements

24 Comments on CNN non-renews Maggie Lake

1. Whoever runs CNN has no clue good presenters like Maggie Lake are dropped and incompetents like Brooke Baldwin & Don Lemon are kept on.

2. Kalali Jesse Herrera Stroumbouloupoulos // August 15, 2018 at 3:42 am // Reply

She’s an original. Why let her go?

3. @alali Jesse Herrera Stroumbouloupoulos she probably wanted a payrise being on the channel for so long and CNN could probably get someone newer for less money or she has said something pro Trump which would be against CNN policy lol

4. Rafe Lavine // August 15, 2018 at 9:12 am // Reply

One of the most credible, Knowledgeable,dependable business anchors on International TV…(who doesn’t constantly interrupt as the loveable Richard Quest does all too often). A bad move. Her stand-ins do a passable job but they’re not Maggie. VERY disappointed.

• Carl Anderson // September 3, 2018 at 11:54 am // Reply

You are right about Richard Quest but also don’t forget Becky Anderson…they both grunt and squirm when they want to cut in while a is guest speaking. I personally did not like Maggie that much BUT she knew her stuff and knew what to ask…that I DO RESPECT. CNN has cut some good staff before I and they will continue to do so when money is the issue.

• Carl Anderson // September 3, 2018 at 12:00 pm //

I miffed two places in my comment…embarrassing. I almost feel like I deserve an anchor reporter position for Fox News for that. LOL. BTW, Julia Chatterly is the flavor of the season for CNN…let’s see how long that lasts.

5. Harminder Gill // August 23, 2018 at 8:56 am // Reply

Very disappointed that Maggie Lake has left CNN . She is very competent and confident Person .sad For me it is Good-bye cnnmoney!

6. From Cochin, India: I have stopped watching CNN Money after the departure of Maggie Lake. She knew the subject, presented impeccably, and could make me feel the contours of the business world. Dr. K.J. Jaims

7. I am really saddened at CNN’s decision not to renew Maggie Lake’s contract. She is a class act and a total pro. She knows her stuff, interviews with a deft touch and invariably asks intelligent questions. To be honest, some of the stand-ins who are filling in are just embarrassing to watch. I cringe at their breathtaking lack of insight. Only Paula Newton and Stephanie Sy seem to know what’s going on around their subject. Oh Maggie I miss you.

8. Carl Anderson // September 3, 2018 at 12:04 pm // Reply

You are totally right about Don Lemon, perhaps a good guy but a really bad reporter. I cannot respect any reporter who makes it a habit of putting people in corners and them prodding them to get a response, usually resulting in an aggressive one in nature. Effectively making the guest look bad if they do not agree with Don’s position. Some guests do deserve this, but many do not.

9. Jane Bachnik // September 4, 2018 at 5:30 am // Reply

I can’t believe CNN let someone like Maggie Lake go! I loved her show, because of the intriguing combination of skills she possesses. As others have mentioned, Maggie is one of the most knowledgeable business anchors on international TV. But Maggie also went beyond this in her ability to locate business topics within the broader context of world news—and here she had the grasp of a capable news anchor. I ended up watching CNNMoney as a world news show that happened to focus on business topics, rather than as “business news”, and think this added much dimension to the subject. Maggie’s interview style is also worth comment. She treated each guest as if developing a rapport was just as important as the content they were discussing, and was excellent at managing both. Maggie’s thank you at an interview’s end had a genuine appreciation that I couldn’t avoid noticing—probably because it’s so rare on TV these days. CNN what happened here? It will be most difficult to replace Maggie Lake’s combination of skills, so I will join the others who have stopped watching CNN Money!

10. Torben Friis // September 5, 2018 at 4:02 pm // Reply

It’s a crime you let Maggie Lake go , I tuned in every morning, just to see here . She is sooo professional. I will miss here very much , and now watch my financial news on Bloomberg.

11. WOW! my wife and I are from the Philippines. . .the only reason we watch CNN these last several years is due to MAGGIE LAKE. . she is so spontaneous and competent. . . WHY CNN? I hope this is fake news. . .terribly disappointed!!!!

12. She’s so good, why let her go? She asks intelligent and insightful questions.

13. Susan Bigelow // September 10, 2018 at 8:36 am // Reply

Huge disappointment to lose Maggie Lake, one of the anchors on CNN focused on the facts of the story, not her opinions. Will greatly miss her incisive questioning and nuanced presentation of the issues. Sayonara CNN

14. William J Yoder // September 10, 2018 at 11:37 am // Reply

You fire Maggie Lake and hire pretty dingbats like Julia Chatterley! What’s going on here? And you keep the likes of Don Lemmon, Lynda Kinkade and Robyn Curnow.

• Carl Anderson // September 10, 2018 at 6:18 pm // Reply

True. But while you are at it, you should also include Becky Anderson, Richard Quest (who are both quite annoying & at times rude), and the World Sport reporter I call “CNN Sports Spice” (I forgot her name).

15. Tepin Getuadisorn // September 11, 2018 at 9:26 am // Reply

So saddened by Maggie Lake’s leaving CNN (or rather CNN not renewing her contract). Right now I’m watching the new anchor, Julia Chatterley. A big disappointment – a pretty face without depth.

16. Robert Gregson // September 12, 2018 at 2:29 pm // Reply

Woke up for years to watch Maggie start off my day in the financial world, she will be missed all the best for her future, a really nice person always came through

17. Please please bring Maggie back,

18. For weeks I tried to find out why I was not seeing Maggie Lake on my favourite programme – CNN Money. How could CNN possibly let her go? She was the best thing you had, folks! She was always composed, pleasant, professional, very knowledgeable about her subject matter and the way she presented it and conducted interviews. This is really a backward move for CNN – please re-think your decision – please! You had one heck of a Caribbean audience in me! Now I watch Bloomberg …

Discuss Below!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s